What do I need to know about the PSY 101 Research Requirement?
All students enrolled in PSY 101 are required to participate in research conducted by members of the Psychology Department – or to write reports on psychological research in psychology, as an alternative to research participation. You will be required to earn 4 credits – approximately four hours of participation or report-writing – which can be achieved in any combination of the following:
- Be part of in-person studies, earning you 1 credit per hour of your time
- Complete on-line studies, earning you 1 credit per hour of your time
- Write a research report (or reports), earning you 1 credit per report
You can earn 1 credit at the beginning of the semester by simply filling out the Psychology Department Research Questionnaire. Depending on your responses, this questionnaire may qualify you for other studies – those that require an invitation code. You will receive an email when the survey is open for participation. This questionnaire is available only for a limited time. You will be notified by email when it becomes available.
What if I'm under 18 years old?
Federal laws protecting the rights of research participants restrict participation in experiments and research studies to students who are 18 years of age or older. As such, you will not be allowed to participate in research until you reach the age of majority (18 years old).
- If you turn 18 during the semester that you are taking PSY 101, then you may sign up to participate in experiments that are held after your birthday. However, if your birthday is late in the semester, be careful about putting off completing the requirement, since spots fill up fast towards the end of the semester.
- If you don't turn 18 during the semester, then you should complete the report writing alternative to earn the four credits to fulfill the requirement.
What if I've taken PSY 101 before? Do I have to complete the requirement again?
If you failed a previous PSY 101 course and have completed research participation or report-writing credits during that course, those credits will not count towards the PSY 101 course you are registered for this semester. You must complete all new research requirements.
What happens if I don’t complete the research participation requirement?
You must complete the four-credit requirement before the last day of classes during the semester in which you are enrolled in PSY 101. If you fail to complete the requirement, you will receive a grade of Incomplete (“I”) on your transcript.
A grade of incomplete results in being unable to register for courses that list PSY 101 as a pre-requisite, e.g., PSY 230; it may also affect scholarships and financial aid.
If the requirement is still unmet after one year, the grade of incomplete (“I”) will automatically turn into a failing grade (“E").
How do I get the Incomplete ("I") removed from my transcript?
If you receive a grade of Incomplete ("I") because of a failure to complete this course requirement, the "I" will be removed from your transcript -- and the grade will be changed to the grade you earned in the course -- after you complete the four required credits. Credits to complete the requirement can be earned either during the Spring, Summer, or Fall Semesters, through either research participation or report writing.
You can remove the “I” from your transcript -- and receive the grade you earned in the course -- by contacting email@example.com to request the grade change once you have completed the requirement. The grade change is not automatic.
- Once the Incomplete appears on your transcript (for failure to complete the requirement), your course grade will be handled directly by the Psychology Department through the firstname.lastname@example.org email address. You do not need to contact your PSY 101 instructor about completing the requirement or requesting the grade change. Any journal article summaries must be submitted directly to Canvas for review; to get credit, be sure to follow all applicable instructions for report writing. Once you have earned all 4 required credits, please email email@example.com and request a grade change. The administrator will then check the SONA system and Canvas to confirm that you have earned the required number of credits and they will process the grade change. Once it is processed, your grade change will appear on MyASU within 5-7 days.
- Do not re-take the class if you earned a passing grade in PSY 101 and have an incomplete only because of the research participation requirement.
What if I have further questions?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for general assistance with questions not addressed on these web pages. Please do not email the webmaster to cancel research appointments.
Please note this email is only monitored between 9 am and 4 pm Monday through Friday -- and due to email volume, it may take a day or two to respond to questions.