Student Worker Hiring (3-4 weeks):
- PI, faculty, or hiring manager completes the PSY Student Worker Request form to provide the hiring information required and email to the Department HR Specialist, Theresa Lopez at Theresa.Lopez@asu.edu or Sally Balanon at Sally.Balanon@asu.edu (for REACH hires).
- Once received, the Department HR Specialist will forward to BOM for account approval or to the Research Advancement team. Once approval has been obtained, HR staff will proceed with the following steps for hire:
- Post Student Worker Job on the ASU website (in Kenexa) for a minimum of 3 days
- Interview process: PI/faculty/hiring manager will receive the applicant list with names and contact information, interview evaluation and reference check form.
- After reviewing resumes, PI/faculty/hiring manager will contact qualifying students and schedule interviews. PI/faculty/hiring manager will let HR staff know that all other candidates did not qualify.
- PI/faculty/hiring manager will send final job candidate information to Department HR Specialist and she will submit to Student Employment for conditional approval (5 days waiting process).
- Department HR Specialist will notify hiring manager to make verbal offer.
- PI/faculty/hiring manager will make a verbal offer.
- Department HR Specialist will print offer letter for new student employee and send to the student and cc supervisor.
- Student Worker hiring takes 4 to 6 weeks.
- Student employees cannot work more than an average of 25 hours a week over a rolling twelve month period per Affordable Care Act regulations.
- Student employees may only work for 2 weeks following their graduation date.
- Student employees must be registered for classes in order to apply for a student job and to keep their student job.
- Student employment does not have job descriptions only wage levels. Levels are determined by the work that will be performed and hourly rate requested.
Student Levels I-IV and Pay Rates:
- Student Employment offers a wide range of positions, which require different degrees of skill or experience. The student wage scale starts at $11.50/hour and pay rates should not exceed $50.00/hour. Four wage levels with different pay ranges have been provided below. Federal Work-Study and Hourly employment share the same wage levels and pay ranges. Wage placement must be in relation to the type of duties performed and in consideration of other student worker wage rates in similar jobs.
- Note: Due to Kenexa implementation, we can no longer use Open Range Wage Levels, we must use Standard Wage Scales. Student pay rate amounts must stay within the student wage levels.